- File Structure
- Executive Control
- Bulk Data
- Element Types
- Element Examples
- Output Files
What is a Finite Element 'Solver'?
- NASTRAN is one of many available finite element analysis (FEA) solvers – Other solvers at Quartus: ABAQUS, ANSYS, LS-DYNA
- What does a solver do? (the short answer)
- User provides input in the form of a text file
- Solver reads the text file and performs analysis
- The solver generates output files with analysis results
- How does the user make the input text file?
- Models are created and input files exported using FEA pre/post processing software
- Various Pre/Post Processors available
What is NASTRAN?
Nastran is a powerful finite element analysis program that is used widely in the aerospace and automotive industries
- Industry standard finite element code originally developed for NASA by MSC (1960s)
- Today there are many flavors (or versions) of Nastran MSC, NX, etc.
Nastran at Quartus
- Primary program used for finite element analysis
- Used extensively to perform static, buckling, and dynamic analyses of structures
- Quartus has licenses for both NX/Nastran and MSC Nastran
- Largely the same (basic functionality)
- Some small differences and enhancements
What Units Does NASTRAN Use?
- NASTRAN does not have a defined unit system
- The user must be careful to maintain consistent units Units must be consistent such that units satisfy F= ma Examples for English and SI units are shown below:
Note: for English units (in, lbf, sec), the unit of mass is a ‘slinch’ (lbf-sec2/in), not a pound (lb). A slinch is the ‘inch version of a slug’. To convert from pounds to slinches you divide by the acceleration of gravity (386.1 in/sec^2)
Have a problem we can solve?
Who We Are
Quartus Engineering Incorporated was founded in 1997 to provide quality advanced engineering services. Quartus specializes in the design and analysis of mechanical systems using computer-aided technologies. We are committed to serving the needs of the engineering community in a timely and cost-effective manner. Download our brochure.